Saturday, August 21, 2010

Go!


On the way to the airport we stopped for a little peak at farming on Kaua'i, which generally happens more interior on the island.

After some farewells, Ace and I were finally off to start the real vacation. We hitchhiked from the airport to tunnels beach, where our tents were set up just feet away from these wet caves.


Ride 1: the Native
Just outside of the airport we got picked up on the highway. It was easy on the island, to pick out the locals from the tourists. Tourists drive PT Cruisers, Mustangs... Locals drive jacked up pick up trucks. So much more practical.

We both hopped into the back, and he passed an ice cold can of passion fruit nectar through the window and told us of the trials and triumphs of the natives on the island. Then dropped us off next to a beach.

With another hitchhiker standing ahead of us on the road, we decided we might as well start walking up the slightly daunting hill. We passed the hitchhiker and wished him luck. We hoped that someone driving by would pity us, 2 people with full 60L packs, walking up this hill. We hoped they'd pity us and pick us up, instead of the guy looking light and fresh, with no gear, standing on the side of the road.

With each car that passed by, we got slightly more and more anxious for a ride and to entertain ourselves, we'd shout out who we thought would pick us up (someone in a pick up truck or a jeep, preferably with dogs in the back), and who wouldn't pick us up (grumpy women who'd look at us, tourists who'd pretend like they couldn't see us). We'd also look for the hitchhiker behind us to be cruising past us with the windows down.

We never did see him. But once we reached the top of the hill, a pick up was parked on the side of the road and a man was letting his dogs out for a quick run. Turns out, he was ride 2.

Ride 2: The American.
He spent his younger years playing football and hockey. Traveling all around the world. Then he found Kaua'i and decided that was where he was going to stay. And now he's a mechanic and his two dogs that run the show. He told us he would drive us until his time ran out and he had to head to his next job. He was going to drive us all the way. He must have loved us cause he could talk hockey.



This was what I was told anyhow. Ace was in the passenger seat and I was in the back with the dogs. Soaking up the breeze, and the view. The best part of this ride, was the view. There's one spot just past the 15 mile marker, where there's a sliver in the cliffs and at just the right time, you can see the sunlight shine through. For the past week, we have all been looking for it, but being in a car, we were always too low and the trees would block the view. I got it.

He took us about 1/2 an hour away from where we needed to be. Thanking him for the ride, we started walking north.

About 1/2 a mile in, there was a lookout point. I figured we might as well take a look while we were on foot. And behind us a car pulls over.

"You got a light?"

"Only if you've got a ride!"


Ride 3: Hilarious.
So we hopped in. Tourist car. But there was a local in the drivers seat, and an obvious tourist in the passenger. Both drinking Corona's. She passed back a bottle, I lit their cigarette, and our conversation went something like this.

Me (M): So where ya headed?

Driver (D): Tunnel Beach, apparently!

Ace (A): How's your day been?

P: Pretty fucking nuts. It's my birthday today. [turns to D] Can I tell them?

D: Do whatever the fuck you want!

P: So I come to Hawaii. It's supposed to be the honeymoon I could never afford and then my wife left me two weeks ago. So now I'm here with my cousin and his wife. I've been looking forward to meeting this beautiful woman (D) and you'll never guess what fucking happened. It's my fucking birthday and we're drinking in our condo, and my cousin asks D to have a threesome with him and his wife. On my fucking birthday! When I am supposed to be on my honeymoon! What the fuck. I want to fucking kick him in the balls.

M: Well no shit, I was supposed to be getting married.

And on we drank until Tunnel Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment