Thursday, August 19, 2010

Finds & Amelie.

The best part about finding locals willing to share their secrets is... they actually share their secrets. We found out about a little spot where turtles come in to feed.



We spent hours breaking the law.



The first time I was in Hawaii, I loved watching them. The fact that they just seem so lazy... letting the tide take them into coves, they'd crash face first into cliffs, mouths wide open and chomp down as much algae as they could. But when you think about how far they have to swim to get to where the tide takes them in... or the fact that 1/100 (or something outrageous) make it from where their mother lays their eggs, and into the ocean. They fucking deserve it.

Then we finally found Tunnels for some sunset. One of my favorite things -ever- is the feeling of my feet sinking into sand as the tide hits. I'm not sure why, but it's one of those simple things that makes me smile. It's the first thing I'll do as soon as I get to anywhere that will allow it.



I took a series of these photos, and in the span of a couple minutes, you can see how quickly the sun set.



EDIT: I recently read that it was only illegal to injure/harass/RIDE a sea turtle. We didn't do that, we're not assholes.

Green Sea Turtles are Endangered
Green sea turtles, as well as other sea turtles in Hawaii, are fully protected under both the federal Endangered Species Act and under Hawaii state law. These laws prohibit hunting, injuring or harassing sea turtles or holding them in captivity without first obtaining a special permit for research or educational purposes. Swimmers and divers should be aware that riding sea turtles is illegal as it puts the animals under unnecessary stress. Fines for violating these laws protecting turtles can be as high as $100,000 and may even include some time in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment