Friday, August 20, 2010

Sally Anne.

We spent some time rummaging though thrift stores. It's one of those things I can't help but do when I'm in a new place. It seems like it'd be a good reflection of a bit of the town's history. This license plate was the best thing I found.


I was fortunate to finally meet Josh who has been nothing but helpful to me. Especially for someone I had never really known. He took us out on his boat to check out the fern grotto where Blue Hawaii was filmed. We managed to blend ourselves in on a tour group that was going there, providing us with the little historic tidbits we'd otherwise not know about.


The grotto was a lot less stunning then what I had hoped it would be, but with the lack of irrigation of sugarcane above it, there was a lot less water to add to the green.


We had spent the majority of our time on the north and east sides of the island, so we thought for once, we would head down towards the west. I had read about this amazing dessert restaurant and an incredible book store (the most western American bookstore geographically) in the town of Hanapepe (Lilo and Stitch's home) so that was our destination. It ended up being a little bit of a block party, so the town was lit up.


It was straight out of a western film.


Especially with Westside Smitty busting out the Johnny Cash and other classics.

1 comment:

  1. Aloha from Kauai,
    How have I missed your sight up until now? Of the hundreds of Westside Smitty photos people have taken over the years, none comes close to your black and white shot (please excuse any hint of unabashed self-absorbtion here;it's an occupational hazard!!) I would love to get a large copy of it (for my mama, of course) or use it as my next CD cover. Do you live on Kauai? Mahalos plenty! Westsidesmitty1@aol.com

    ReplyDelete